Tristan planing the neck. If you don't, the strings will hit against all the imperfections and create a buzzing noise.
The form finally finished, after twelve hours . Here it is with the neck attached. Of course that's just a mold, for the actual violin we're using 8 layers of paper mache.
Here's the finished body. Well more or less finished, we still need to put the two halves together and shave off the excess. As of this posting they're not dry.
Ok, so, I went home to sleep for a few hours. It turned out it was eight hours. Thats more then I wanted, but oh well, I'll be awake and productive now!
It seems that while I was sleeping, Alex who is currently asleep, has printed off the rest of the mold for the violin! This is very exiting because it means that I can clean off the table and get to the real interesting part of our feed! (if you didn't find getting a 3d printer going exiting enough, lolz) I'm going to start working on the body of the violin! I think I'll also get a few other parts printing while I'm at it; I modeled the bridge and the pegs last night on blender.
Since the last post we have made a neck for the violin, and printed half of the mold for the body. It took a bit of doing to get the printr going smoothly, but it seems pretty happy now! Time to get a bit of sleep. More updates will follow when someone wakes up!
Yeah, don't hold it too close to an open flame.
We're running out of plastic on a several hour print, so we need to melt the end of one roll of plastic to the beginning of another, so we don't get any interruption of the print. I held it too close to the flame, and well, it caught on fire.
But the technique is a success. No ruining a two hour print because we didn't switch out filament early enough.
Ok, this is Tristan checking in. Gunna give ya a bit of a picture show!
This is The prototype I built.
Heres a bit of our space, you can see our printr on the desk there. We are trying to use it to print off a mold for the body of the violin that Alex made on opencad.
Heres our cam, looking down on the printr. Also we've been watching the deconstruction main feed.
Heres the print bed. Now right side up!
And heres a display of alex's random and useful knowledge; we built a rheostat.