A few of the other things we got up to during while prints were finishing and mache was drying.
We worked a bit on a sterling engine. That project was mostly being done by someone else. He dropped by for half a day, and got a fare bit done. It sort of works. He also made some match very small stick powered rockets and cannons.
We decided to make violin strings. I'll upload the model for our jig once we're less busy.
Used a drill to twirl the wire. We can't just put the wire straight in, or it will break. But using a zip tie seems to work.
Just apply a constant pressure, and it will twist itself together.
Some terrifying macro photography with our home made cell home macro lens. It sort of works, and only costs $1.50. Just pull the focusing lens out of a laser pointer, and put it on the cellphone.
Our last project was a bit more dangerous. We've grown accustomed to keeping a fire extinguisher in easy reach, although thankfully this one didn't go up in flames.
We bought some new glow in the dark filament that we haven't gotten a chance to use yet. So we had to give it a test print. This is a modified koch snowflake from sphynx on thingiverse. The goal was to make a lamp shade. The problem is that ABS melts at ~200'c. So we needed to test how hot the light bulbs got to. The internet saying ~160'c, so I was hopeful. Wrong, but hopeful.