Our first step was to create the form. This time we used 3D printing, and it yielded much better results. We had to take the pretty big object and cut it into a bunch of print bed sized parts, then glue them together. You can download the geometry here is you want to print it or have it pritned yourself.
The first form was made out of cardboard, but the results weren't very good.
The next step was to cut out a pattern for the neck. We mostly did this by eye, and I neglected to take any pictures. Still, here's the same process done with an experiment.
Then we paper-mached it and clamped it together.
The next step was to actually make the paper mache body. We put tinfoil over the form, then just added a bunch of mache layers. The tinfoil stuck to the mache meaning the inside is all silver.
We decided to tie the two halves together, instead of just pasteing them. Honestly, next time we should just use glue. It took a long time.
The tuning pegs and bridge were both 3D printed. Tristan did a great job modeling those. I'll be uploading the files to thingiverse after I'm done sleeping forever.
All in all, it worked. In hindsight I wish I had taken more pictures. Ohh well, it was a learning experience, and we'll be revisiting this project in a week or two, so I can take some better pictures then.