So, what did we use during this?
About 80 hours between the two of us, most of which was spent doing prototypes, reading the internet, and watching other streams. If you had a kit you could probably do it in 8 including drying time.
Some newspaper, pilfered from the bus stop.
Flour and water for the wheat paste.
A 3D printer, and maybe 4 dollars worth of plastic.
Some picture hanging wire, pilfered from my room mate.
A drill, with a few drill bits.
A bottle of chai tea liquor.
It works, making violin sounds and everything.
A few of the other things we got up to during while prints were finishing and mache was drying.
We worked a bit on a sterling engine. That project was mostly being done by someone else. He dropped by for half a day, and got a fare bit done. It sort of works. He also made some match very small stick powered rockets and cannons.
We decided to make violin strings. I'll upload the model for our jig once we're less busy.
Used a drill to twirl the wire. We can't just put the wire straight in, or it will break. But using a zip tie seems to work.
Just apply a constant pressure, and it will twist itself together.
Some terrifying macro photography with our home made cell home macro lens. It sort of works, and only costs $1.50. Just pull the focusing lens out of a laser pointer, and put it on the cellphone.
Our last project was a bit more dangerous. We've grown accustomed to keeping a fire extinguisher in easy reach, although thankfully this one didn't go up in flames.
We bought some new glow in the dark filament that we haven't gotten a chance to use yet. So we had to give it a test print. This is a modified koch snowflake from sphynx on thingiverse. The goal was to make a lamp shade. The problem is that ABS melts at ~200'c. So we needed to test how hot the light bulbs got to. The internet saying ~160'c, so I was hopeful. Wrong, but hopeful.
Our first step was to create the form. This time we used 3D printing, and it yielded much better results. We had to take the pretty big object and cut it into a bunch of print bed sized parts, then glue them together. You can download the geometry here is you want to print it or have it pritned yourself.
The first form was made out of cardboard, but the results weren't very good.
The next step was to cut out a pattern for the neck. We mostly did this by eye, and I neglected to take any pictures. Still, here's the same process done with an experiment.
Then we paper-mached it and clamped it together.
The next step was to actually make the paper mache body. We put tinfoil over the form, then just added a bunch of mache layers. The tinfoil stuck to the mache meaning the inside is all silver.
We decided to tie the two halves together, instead of just pasteing them. Honestly, next time we should just use glue. It took a long time.
The tuning pegs and bridge were both 3D printed. Tristan did a great job modeling those. I'll be uploading the files to thingiverse after I'm done sleeping forever.
All in all, it worked. In hindsight I wish I had taken more pictures. Ohh well, it was a learning experience, and we'll be revisiting this project in a week or two, so I can take some better pictures then.
I sleep for a few hours, and it's pretty much finished. Also there's nobody here. Spooky.
We used 3D printing to do the bridge and the tuning heads. Those are the only parts that aren't paper though. In order to do the big pieces like the neck we cut out a bunch of shapes and paper mached them together. It creates a surprisingly strong piece.